The Gilded Wolves
Written by Roshani Chokshi
Published by Wednesday Books/ St Martin’s Press
Publication date: 15th January 2019
Summary (from Goodreads):
Set in a darkly glamorous world The Gilded Wolves is full of mystery, decadence and dangerous but thrilling adventure.
Paris, 1889: The world is on the cusp of industry and power, and the Exposition Universelle has breathed new life into the streets and dredged up ancient secrets. In this city, no one keeps tabs on secrets better than treasure-hunter and wealthy hotelier, Séverin Montagnet-Alarie. But when the all-powerful society, the Order of Babel, seeks him out for help, Séverin is offered a treasure that he never imagined: his true inheritance. To find the ancient artifact the Order seeks, Séverin will need help from a band of experts:
An engineer with a debt to pay. A historian who can’t yet go home. A dancer with a sinister past. And a brother in all but blood, who might care too much.
Together, they’ll have to use their wits and knowledge to hunt the artifact through the dark and glittering heart of Paris. What they find might change the world, but only if they can stay alive.
Why I can’t wait to read this book:
- I’ve been wanting to read The Star-touched Queen by this author for a while, so leapt at the chance to read this.
- It’s set in Paris which is usually enough by itself for me to want to read a book! It is also set at a particularly interesting time in history, when the Eiffel Tower was constructed.
- It is centred around magic held in ancient artifacts – definitely sounds like my cup of tea. I also love the idea of the main characters being treasure hunters and thieves as I love heist stories.
- The cast of characters sounds fascinating – Severin, cheated of his inheritance, Laila, searching for an artifact that will reveal secrets in her past, Tristan, damaged by life, Sofia, fiercely intelligent in academic matters hut unable to handle social situations, Enrique, historian and wannabe activist and Hypnos, Patriarch of his family but not fully accepted because of his background…can’t wait to meet them!
- Both the characters and the fact that they are attempting to steal magical artifacts from (I’m guessing!) heavily-protected places reminds me a little of Six of Crows/ Crooked Kingdom and Now You See Me, two books and a movie that I loved.
- Bonus – isn’t that cover all sorts of beautiful?
What do you think?
Does this sound like the kind of book you would enjoy?
Will you be reading this or do you have any other anticipated releases you would recommend to me?
Let me know in the comments!
See some other Waiting on Wednesday posts here: When the Mountains Roared, The Exact Opposite of Okay, To Kill a Kingdom, Starfish, The Gloaming, The Smoke Thieves, The Way You Make Me Feel, The Queens of Innis Lear, Legendary, Nyxia Unleashed, Bright Ruin, A Thousand Beginnings and Endings, Empress of All Seasons, Tempests and Slaughter, Grim Lovelies, The Glass of Lead and Gold, Storm Witch, The Way Past Winter.
Thanks for reading!