Waiting on Wednesday: Romanov
Written by Nadine Brandes
Published by Thomas Nelson/ Harper Collins
Publication date: 7th May 2019
Summary (from Goodreads):
From the author of Fawkes comes a magical take on the story of Anastasia Romanov.
The history books say I died.
They don’t know the half of it.
Anastasia “Nastya” Romanov was given a single mission: to smuggle an ancient spell into her suitcase on her way to exile in Siberia. It might be her family’s only salvation. But the leader of the Bolshevik army is after them . . . and he’s hunted Romanov before.
Nastya’s only chances of survival are to either release the spell, and deal with the consequences, or enlist help from Zash, the handsome soldier who doesn’t act like the average Bolshevik. Nastya’s never dabbled in magic before, but it doesn’t frighten her as much as her growing attraction for Zash. She likes him. She thinks he might even like her. . .
That is, until she’s on one side of a firing squad . . . and he’s on the other.
Reasons why I can’t wait to read this:
- I have always been fascinated by the stories surrounding the Romanov family, so I was instantly interested in this.
- I previously read Fawkes by the same author and really enjoyed it, so I want to read this too. Hope it is even better!
- When interviewing Nadine Brandes, she mentioned that her next project would be about the Romanov family, specifically Anastasia – this was added to my TBR immediately after that interview.
- While I have yet to visit Russia, I love the history, culture and folklore so would like to go there someday. Set your book in Russia and I will probably read it for that reason alone!
- Magic, in a story which already sounds great? Magic (usually!) makes everything better. I am really excited to see how the inclusion of magic changes the story, as well as getting to know one of the Bolshevik soldiers and see things from his perspective.
What do you think?
Does this sound like the kind of book you would enjoy?
Will you be reading this or do you have any other anticipated releases you would recommend to me?
Let me know in the comments!
See some other Waiting on Wednesday posts here: When the Mountains Roared, The Exact Opposite of Okay, To Kill a Kingdom, Starfish, The Gloaming, The Smoke Thieves, The Way You Make Me Feel, The Queens of Innis Lear, Legendary, Nyxia Unleashed, Bright Ruin, A Thousand Beginnings and Endings, Empress of All Seasons, Tempests and Slaughter, Grim Lovelies, The Glass of Lead and Gold, Storm Witch, The Way Past Winter, The Gilded Wolves, Fierce Fairytales, Descendant of the Crane. Dragon Pearl, Last of Her Name. The Familars. A Pinch of Magic, A Witch Come True, The Winter of the Witch. Once Upon a River, A Curse So Dark and Lonely, Shadowscent.
Thanks for reading!