Six for Sunday: 2018 Bookish Highlights
It’s been a little while since I did one of these (a whole month!) as life has been so busy – between work and getting ill, my blog has been a big neglected of late, but I’m hoping to get back into the swing of things over the Christmas holidays.
Over the last year, I have been making an effort to take advantage of the fact that I live relatively close to London to go into the capital for bookish events. It has been fascinating and I intend to keep on trying to book in ~1 event a month in order to have something to look forward to and to continue deepening my understanding of the publishing industry.
Some of my favourite events from the last year have been:
- Meeting Holly Black at her UK launch for The Cruel Prince – I have been a massive fan since first coming across Tithe in my local library on one of my first forays into the ‘teen’ section!
- The launch for the third book in Alwyn Hamilton‘s brilliant Rebel of the Sands series, Hero at the Fall. I love this series and was so excited to be part of the hype surrounding this final part of the trilogy!
- Meeting Oliver Jeffers at the V& A (read my full write-up here). I was so nervous and excited to meet him and my pupils were impressed to see that he’d signed the books in our classroom.
- YA Shot! This was the first time that I had attended, and I made my decision mainly based on the fact that Vic James was going to be there and I LOVE The Gilded Cage and The Dark Gifts series. I’m sad to hear that it won’t be on next year, but would definitely attend again.
- Being involved in the publicity for The Storm Keeper’s Island and getting to meet the lovely Cat Doyle. After being approved on Netgalley, I contacted Bloomsbury to say how much I had loved the book and they decided to do a blog tour based on my enthusiasm! See my full write-up of the event here.
- Other events I loved this year were meeting Becky Chambers, Jessie Burton and Angela Barrett, M.G. Leonard and my friend Lou @BookMurmuration coming to visit so we spent a very bookish week exploring bookshops and the literary festival!
Another highlight of this year is that I finally worked up the courage to ask for some proofs…and actually received some! I always buy a finished copy of the books anyway, but there is something so exciting about receiving books in the post and it has really widened my reading horizons!
What were your bookish highlights of 2018?
#SixforSunday is created by Steph from A Little But a Lot.
Check out some of my previous weeks of #SixforSunday here:
Thanks for reading!