The Wicked King
(The Folk of the Air #2)
Written by Holly Black
Published by Hot Key Books
Publication date: 8th January 2019
Summary (from Goodreads):
You must be strong enough to strike and strike and strike again without tiring.
The first lesson is to make yourself strong.
After the jaw-dropping revelation that Oak is the heir to Faerie, Jude must keep her younger brother safe. To do so, she has bound the wicked king, Cardan, to her, and made herself the power behind the throne. Navigating the constantly shifting political alliances of Faerie would be difficult enough if Cardan were easy to control. But he does everything in his power to humiliate and undermine her even as his fascination with her remains undiminished.
When it becomes all too clear that someone close to Jude means to betray her, threatening her own life and the lives of everyone she loves, Jude must uncover the traitor and fight her own complicated feelings for Cardan to maintain control as a mortal in a Faerie world.
Why I can’t wait to read this:
- I think most of the world is excited to read this – am I right? I have been a big fan of Holly Black since first picking up a copy of Tithe in the library and falling in love with how she portrays the darker side to fairy tales. Getting to meet Holly Black earlier this year was incredible (although I was too starstruck to say much!
- I read and adored The Cruel Prince almost exactly a year ago so have been waiting for a long time for this second book!
- I was lucky enough to get a chapter sampler, which I read in minutes and have thought about a lot since. There have been various excerpts floating around the internet, so I am even more excited to just be able to read the whole thing in one go. However, I am sure that waiting for Book 3 is going to be torture…
- The sample chapters I saw had flashbacks to Jude’s training with Madoc. He was one of my favourite characters from the first book so looking forward to more of this!
- I am really excited to see how Jude will handle the end of her time limit with Cardan, particularly as he is sure to have come up with lots of creative ways to get revenge…
What do you think?
Does this sound like the kind of book you would enjoy?
Will you be reading this or do you have any other anticipated releases you would recommend to me?
Let me know in the comments!
See some other Waiting on Wednesday posts here: When the Mountains Roared, The Exact Opposite of Okay, To Kill a Kingdom, Starfish, The Gloaming, The Smoke Thieves, The Way You Make Me Feel, The Queens of Innis Lear, Legendary, Nyxia Unleashed, Bright Ruin, A Thousand Beginnings and Endings, Empress of All Seasons, Tempests and Slaughter, Grim Lovelies, The Glass of Lead and Gold, Storm Witch, The Way Past Winter, The Gilded Wolves, Fierce Fairytales, Descendant of the Crane. Dragon Pearl, Last of Her Name. The Familars. A Pinch of Magic, A Witch Come True, The Winter of the Witch. Once Upon a River, A Curse So Dark and Lonely, Shadowscent, Romanov. Echo North.
Thanks for reading!