‘New Year, New Me’ seems to be the general feeling around this time of year and it can be hard not to get caught up in making grand plans about all the wonderful things we will do this year, without keeping in mind that all of the time pressures and obligations from last year will still be here too.
Still, as much as I feel cautious about setting myself up for a failure by being too ambitious with my goals, I also appreciate the opportunity to reflect on the last year and think about what I want to achieve in the next 12 months.
What are you hoping to achieve in 2019?
Do you have goals for both your personal and professional life?
I’m going to split the goals into sections:
- Similarly to most people, getting a bit fitter in 2019 would be great. I am happy with my weight, but not with my fitness, specifically my cardio-vascular fitness. I’m going to try to keep up doing yoga and some simple exercises, but also try to add in something to get my heart rate up. Recommendations welcome if anyone has any ideas!
- Move into our new house! We had an offer accepted on a house on 31st October, but are still wading through paperwork so ahven’t received the keys yet. We’re hoping for a moving date soon. The house needs lots of work done on it, including electrics, walls and carpets. Getting the house decorated and moving all of our stuff in (plus, of course, buying some more bookshelves and establishing a library) will probably take up loads of my time. We are also hoping to get a dog, which I am already incredibly excited by!
- Dedicate time to do more creative activities. I love art, photography, gardening and crafting, but these hobbies often get pushed to the side when life gets busy. I am going to set aside time each week to enjoy being creative.
- Make sure I don’t let my languages go rusty by fitting in a bit more language learning each day.
- Read a bit more about Emotional First Aid, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Mindfulness in order to take control of some of my own worst tendencies.
- Make a special effort to connect with the people I love and reconnect with old friends, even if it’s as simple as a text message.
- I love my job, but I really need to continue working on getting my work-life balance back into some semblance of a balance. I regularly spend 11+ hours at work, then go home and do more. My plan is to block out certain times for marking, etc and give myself a deadline to go home. If it’s not done by then, its going to have to wait!
- Interact more with the professional community on Twitter and continue reading widely. There are so many great ideas out there!
- I am over the moon with the growth my blog has enjoyed in 2018, compared to 2017, especially as it was my first full year of blogging. However, I feel like I have learned a few things this year that will help me to make 2019 even better. I need to get better at scheduling posts to avoid gaps when life gets busy and promoting the posts that I have already written by scheduling tweets.
- Continue to broaden my reading horizons and make promoting diverse books an even bigger focus on my blog.
- Attempt to improve my photography skills and post on bookstagram/ use on the blog. I am particularly excited to potentially have a garden when we move house so will have better natural light than in an apartment!
- Link to other blogger’s posts to continue building a network of bloggers and supporting all the dedicated content-creators out there.
What do you think of my goals?
Are they similar to or very different to yours?
Can you give me any tips on achieving my goals in 2019?
I know that many of my goals need refinement to be achievable, but these are the general areas that I will be hoping to improve on over 2019.
What are you planning to do differently in 2019?
What are your favourite memories or achievements from 2018?
What piece of advice would you give to someone to help them achieve their 2019 goals?
Let me know in the comments!
I would also love it if you link your 2019 goal posts below and I will visit and leave a comment!
Thanks for reading!