Waiting on Wednesday: Butterfly Yellow
Written by Thanha Lai
Published by Harper Collins
Publication date: 3rd September 2019
Summary (from Goodreads):
In the final days of the Việt Nam War, Hằng takes her little brother, Linh, to the airport, determined to find a way to safety in America. In a split second, Linh is ripped from her arms—and Hằng is left behind in the war-torn country.
Six years later, Hằng has made the brutal journey from Việt Nam and is now in Texas as a refugee. She doesn’t know how she will find the little brother who was taken from her until she meets LeeRoy, a city boy with big rodeo dreams, who decides to help her.
Hằng is overjoyed when she reunites with Linh. But when she realizes he doesn’t remember her, their family, or Việt Nam, her heart is crushed. Though the distance between them feels greater than ever, Hằng has come so far that she will do anything to bridge the gap.
Why I can’t wait to read this:
- I am always excited to read stories set in Viet Nam or featuring Vietnamese protagonists due to the year I spent living there when I was younger.
- Books about the refugee experience are so important as they humanize and personalise an experience that many people suffer through, but can run the risk of becoming an ‘issue’ in the media, dealing with numbers rather than people.
- I always enjoy reading about siblings and the sibling relationship in books, so I am looking forward to finding out more about Hang and Linh,especially after they have been separated for six years.
- The issue of assimilating into your adopted country while still remembering your country of origin can be a complex one for many refugees, especially as every option on the spectrum may involve dealing with issues relating to memory, trauma and prejudice.
- This is the first book that I have come across by this author, but I haven’t read nearly enough Vietnamese literature this year so I am excited to read this!
What do you think?
Does this sound like the kind of book you would enjoy?
Will you be reading this or do you have any other anticipated releases you would recommend to me?
Let me know in the comments!
See some other Waiting on Wednesday posts here: When the Mountains Roared, The Exact Opposite of Okay, To Kill a Kingdom, Starfish, The Gloaming, The Smoke Thieves, The Way You Make Me Feel, The Queens of Innis Lear, Legendary, Nyxia Unleashed, Bright Ruin, A Thousand Beginnings and Endings, Empress of All Seasons, Tempests and Slaughter, Grim Lovelies, The Glass of Lead and Gold, Storm Witch, The Way Past Winter, The Gilded Wolves,Fierce Fairytales, Descendant of the Crane. Dragon Pearl,Last of Her Name. The Familars. A Pinch of Magic, A Witch Come True, The Winter of the Witch. Once Upon a River, A Curse So Dark and Lonely, Shadowscent, Romanov. Echo North, The Wicked King, The Priory of the Orange Tree, Spin the Dawn, Master of Sorrows, Asha and the Spirit Bird, A Treason of Thorns, We Rule The Night, Perfectly Preventable Deaths, Collision, Rumblestar, The Last Spell Breather, The Starless Sea, The Lost Tide Warriors, The Princess Who Flew With Dragons, Containment. House of Salt and Sorrows, Sanctuary, Stronger than a Bronze Dragon, Gumiho/Wicked Fox, Pan’s Labyrinth, The Kingdom, The Taste of Rain, The Ten Thousand Doors of January, Chinglish, Winterwood, Harley in the Sky, Into the Crooked Place.
Thanks for reading!