Waiting on Wednesday: Feathertide
Written by Beth Cartwright
Published by: Del Rey/ Ebury
Publication date: 14th May 2020
Summary (from Goodreads):
One girl was born to be different…
Marea was born to be different – a girl born covered in the feathers of a bird, and kept hidden in a crumbling house full of secrets. When her new tutor, the Professor, arrives with his books, maps and magical stories, he reveals a world waiting outside the window and her curiosity is woken. Caught in the desire to discover her identity and find out why she has feathers fluttering down her back like golden thistledown, she leaves everything she has ever known and goes in search of the father she has never met.
This hunt leads her to the City of Murmurs, a place of mermaids and mystery, where jars of swirling mist are carried through the streets by the broken-hearted. It is here that she learns about love, identity and how to accept being that little bit different.
Feathertide is an enchanting, magical novel perfect for fans of Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus and Katherine Arden’s The Bear and the Nightingale.
Why I can’t wait to read this:
- Absolutely everything about the summary makes me want to read this – a girl born covered in feathers and a mysterious, crumbling old house full of secrets. I feel like I don’t even need to read further – sign me up to read this already!
- Then it gets better! The Professor appears with books, maps and magical stories i.e. some of my favourite things in the world!
- Adventures to find yourself and to solve a mystery in your past may be pretty common-place, but it’s something that I rarely get tired of in books.
- The City of Murmurs sounds amazing – mermaids, mystery and jars of mist…I have to know more!
- This is recommended for fans of The Night Circus and The Bear and the Nightingale, both of which I absolutely adore. So, if I hadn’t already been completely sold by the summary, I would have wanted to pick it up after reading that!
- Bonus – look at the gorgeous cover. It looks magical!
What do you think?
Does this sound like the kind of book you would enjoy?
Will you be reading this or do you have any other anticipated releases you would recommend to me?
Let me know in the comments!
See some other Waiting on Wednesday posts here: When the Mountains Roared, The Exact Opposite of Okay, To Kill a Kingdom, Starfish, The Gloaming, The Smoke Thieves, The Way You Make Me Feel, The Queens of Innis Lear, Legendary, Nyxia Unleashed, Bright Ruin, A Thousand Beginnings and Endings, Empress of All Seasons, Tempests and Slaughter, Grim Lovelies, The Glass of Lead and Gold, Storm Witch, The Way Past Winter, The Gilded Wolves,Fierce Fairytales, Descendant of the Crane. Dragon Pearl,Last of Her Name. The Familars. A Pinch of Magic, A Witch Come True, The Winter of the Witch. Once Upon a River, A Curse So Dark and Lonely, Shadowscent, Romanov. Echo North, The Wicked King, The Priory of the Orange Tree, Spin the Dawn, Master of Sorrows, Asha and the Spirit Bird, A Treason of Thorns, We Rule The Night, Perfectly Preventable Deaths, Collision, Rumblestar, The Last Spell Breather, The Starless Sea, The Lost Tide Warriors, The Princess Who Flew With Dragons, Containment. House of Salt and Sorrows, Sanctuary, Stronger than a Bronze Dragon, Gumiho/Wicked Fox, Pan’s Labyrinth, The Kingdom, The Taste of Rain, The Ten Thousand Doors of January, Chinglish, Winterwood, Harley in the Sky, Into the Crooked Place, Butterfly Yellow, Seven Deadly Shadows, Shadows of Winterspell, Wicked as You Wish, The Silvered Serpents.
Thanks for reading!