Waiting on Wednesday: Thorn
Written by Intisar Khanani
Published by Hot Key Books
Publication date: 24th March 2020
Summary (from Goodreads):
A princess with two futures. A destiny all her own
Between her cruel family and the contempt she faces at court, Princess Alyrra has always longed to escape the confines of her royal life. But when she’s betrothed to the powerful prince Kestrin, Alyrra embarks on a journey to his land with little hope for a better future.
When a mysterious and terrifying sorceress robs Alyrra of both her identity and her role as princess, Alyrra seizes the opportunity to start a new life for herself as a goose girl.
But Alyrra soon finds that Kestrin is not what she expected. The more Alyrra learns of this new kingdom, the pain and suffering its people endure, as well as the danger facing Kestrin from the sorceress herself, the more she knows she can’t remain the goose girl forever.
With the fate of the kingdom at stake, Alyrra is caught between two worlds and ultimately must decide who she is, and what she stands for.
Why I can’t wait to read this:
- The Goose Girl is one of my favourite fairytales and there aren’t many re-imaginings/ retellings out there.
- I read the first three chapters on Readersfirst and am already fascinated. It seems like Alyrra (the main character) has a lot going on and I am curious about her past.
- One change that I’ve already spotted is that the King has met Alyrra and so won’t be fooled by her just switching places -instead magic has to be involved to change her appearance.
- The blurb hints at Alyrra changing her fate through her own efforts, not through any conveniently-discovered dormant talent. As much as I love magic, I am also really looking forward to seeing someone succeed through hard work, rather than through being the ‘chosen one’.
- This book just sounds like everything I love -can’t wait!
What do you think?
Does this sound like the kind of book you would enjoy?
Will you be reading this or do you have any other anticipated releases you would recommend to me?
Let me know in the comments!
See some other Waiting on Wednesday posts here: When the Mountains Roared, The Exact Opposite of Okay, To Kill a Kingdom, Starfish, The Gloaming, The Smoke Thieves, The Way You Make Me Feel, The Queens of Innis Lear, Legendary, Nyxia Unleashed, Bright Ruin, A Thousand Beginnings and Endings, Empress of All Seasons, Tempests and Slaughter, Grim Lovelies, The Glass of Lead and Gold, Storm Witch, The Way Past Winter, The Gilded Wolves,Fierce Fairytales, Descendant of the Crane. Dragon Pearl,Last of Her Name. The Familars. A Pinch of Magic, A Witch Come True, The Winter of the Witch. Once Upon a River, A Curse So Dark and Lonely, Shadowscent, Romanov. Echo North, The Wicked King, The Priory of the Orange Tree, Spin the Dawn, Master of Sorrows, Asha and the Spirit Bird, A Treason of Thorns, We Rule The Night, Perfectly Preventable Deaths, Collision, Rumblestar, The Last Spell Breather, The Starless Sea, The Lost Tide Warriors, The Princess Who Flew With Dragons, Containment. House of Salt and Sorrows, Sanctuary, Stronger than a Bronze Dragon, Gumiho/Wicked Fox, Pan’s Labyrinth, The Kingdom, The Taste of Rain, The Ten Thousand Doors of January, Chinglish, Winterwood, Harley in the Sky, Into the Crooked Place, Butterfly Yellow, Seven Deadly Shadows, Shadows of Winterspell, Wicked as You Wish, The Silvered Serpents, Feathertide, Break The Fall, Deep and Darkest Red, Rogue Princess, Forest of Ghosts and Bones, The Foundling, Orphans of the Tide.
Thanks for reading!