Waiting on Wednesday: The Notorious Virtues
The Notorious Virtues
Written by Alwyn Hamilton
Published by Faber & Faber
Publication date: 18th August 2020
Summary (from Goodreads):
A glamorous media darling, a surprise heiress, and the magical competition of a lifetime.
At sixteen, Honora “Nora” Holtzfall is the daughter of the most powerful heiress in all of Walstad. Her family controls all the money–and all the magic–in the entire country. But despite being the center of attention, Nora has always felt like an outsider. When her mother is found dead in an alley, the family throne and fortune are suddenly up for grabs, and Nora will be pitted against her cousins in the Veritaz, the ultimate magical competition for power that determines the one family heir.
But there’s a surprise contestant this time: Lotte, the illegitimate daughter of Nora’s aunt. When Lotte’s absent mother retrieves her from the rural convent she’d abandoned her to, Lotte goes from being an orphan to surrounded by family. Unfortunately, most of them want her dead.
And soon, Nora discovers that her mother’s death wasn’t random–it was murder. And the only person she can trust to uncover the truth of what happened is a rakish young reporter who despises everything Nora and her family stand for.
With everyone against her, Lotte’s last hope is hunting for the identity of her father. But the dangerous competition–and her feelings for Theo, one of the Holtzfalls’ sworn protectors–turns her world upside down.
Incredible tests, impossible choices and deadly odds await both girls. But there can only be one winner.
Why I can’t wait to read this:
- The summary just has me hooked – it sounds very tense, high-stakes and I can’t wait to read it!
- I loved the Rebel of the Sands series by Alwyn Hamilton and had heard her mention a few hints about this new series at various events – meaning that I have been anticipating reading this for what feels like ages.
- Both Nora and Lotte sound like brilliant, realistic characters so I am excited to get to know them.
- There is magic! Pretty much anything with magic I will read! Speaking of magic, I am really curious as to how Nora’s family controls all the money and the magical power in this world – how does that work?
- It sounds like there will be a smidgen of romance and both relationships sound destined to be fraught with difficulty.
What do you think?
Does this sound like the kind of book you would enjoy?
Will you be reading this or do you have any other anticipated releases you would recommend to me?
Let me know in the comments!
See some other Waiting on Wednesday posts here: The Forest of Ghosts and Bones, The Foundling, Special Edition, Orphans of the Tide, Thorn, Seasons of the Storm, The Circus Rose, The Court of Miracles, Girl, Serpent, Thorn, or House of Dragons?
Thanks for reading!