Master of Sorrows
The Silent Gods #1
Written by Justin Travis Call
Published by Gollancz
Publication date: 21st February 2019
Summary (from Goodreads):
You have heard the story before – of a young boy, orphaned through tragic circumstances, raised by a wise old man, who comes to a fuller knowledge of his magic and uses it to fight the great evil that threatens his world.
But what if the boy hero and the malevolent, threatening taint were one and the same?
What if the boy slowly came to realize he was the reincarnation of an evil god? Would he save the world . . . or destroy it?
Among the Academy’s warrior-thieves, Annev de Breth is an outlier. Unlike his classmates who were stolen as infants from the capital city, Annev was born in the small village of Chaenbalu, was believed to be executed, and then unknowingly raised by his parents’ killers.
Seventeen years later, Annev struggles with the burdens of a forbidden magic, a forgotten heritage, and a secret deformity. When he is subsequently caught between the warring ideologies of his priestly mentor and the Academy’s masters, he must choose between forfeiting his promising future at the Academy or betraying his closest friends. Each decision leads to a deeper dilemma, until Annev finds himself pressed into a quest he does not wish to fulfil.
Will he finally embrace the doctrine of his tutors, murder a stranger, and abandon his mentor? Or will he accept the more difficult truth of who he is . . . and the darker truth of what he may become . . .
Why I can’t wait to read this:
- It is set (or at least seems to be!) in a magical academy – this make me want to read it straight away! I loved The Name of the Wind, Spellslinger and, of course, Harry Potter for this!
- Those at the Academy are described as ‘warrior-thieves‘. While I’m not entirely sure yet how that will play out, the idea of it certainly has me intrigued. Almost like pirates or buccaneers, but on dry land?
- ‘Forbidden magic‘ Magic is always great. It gets even better when there is some restriction or cost to using it – if magic comes without a price it is just too easy!
- I like the ‘reluctant hero’ trope, especially in this case where it seems like the main character may have the potential to be either the saving or the destruction of the world.
- This book just sounds fascinating and I have a soft spot for fantasy anyway – cannot wait to read this!
What do you think?
Does this sound like the kind of book you would enjoy?
Will you be reading this or do you have any other anticipated releases you would recommend to me?
Let me know in the comments!
See some other Waiting on Wednesday posts here: When the Mountains Roared, The Exact Opposite of Okay, To Kill a Kingdom, Starfish, The Gloaming, The Smoke Thieves, The Way You Make Me Feel, The Queens of Innis Lear, Legendary, Nyxia Unleashed, Bright Ruin, A Thousand Beginnings and Endings, Empress of All Seasons, Tempests and Slaughter, Grim Lovelies, The Glass of Lead and Gold, Storm Witch, The Way Past Winter, The Gilded Wolves, Fierce Fairytales, Descendant of the Crane. Dragon Pearl, Last of Her Name. The Familars. A Pinch of Magic, A Witch Come True, The Winter of the Witch. Once Upon a River, A Curse So Dark and Lonely, Shadowscent, Romanov. Echo North, The Wicked King, The Priory of the Orange Tree, Spin the Dawn.
Thanks for reading!