Legendary (Caraval Trilogy, Book 2)
Written by Stephanie Garber
Published by Hodder and Stoughton
Publication date: 31st May 2018
Summary (from Goodreads):
Stephanie Garber’s limitless imagination takes flight once more in the colorful, mesmerizing, and immersive sequel to the bestselling breakout debut Caraval
A heart to protect. A debt to repay. A game to win.
After being swept up in the magical world of Caraval, Donatella Dragna has finally escaped her father and saved her sister Scarlett from a disastrous arranged marriage. The girls should be celebrating, but Tella isn’t yet free. She made a desperate bargain with a mysterious criminal, and what Tella owes him no one has ever been able to deliver: Caraval Master Legend’s true name.
The only chance of uncovering Legend’s identity is to win Caraval, so Tella throws herself into the legendary competition once more—and into the path of the murderous heir to the throne, a doomed love story, and a web of secrets…including her sister’s. Caraval has always demanded bravery, cunning, and sacrifice. But now the game is asking for more. If Tella can’t fulfill her bargain and deliver Legend’s name, she’ll lose everything she cares about—maybe even her life. But if she wins, Legend and Caraval will be destroyed forever.
Welcome, welcome to Caraval…the games have only just begun.
Why I can’t wait to read this:
- I missed all the hype for Caraval, so was able to read it without any preconceptions about it. I think this meant that I enjoyed it more, as many more negative reviews seem to be from people who had been involved in the hype and then found the book disappointing. I have also been trying to avoid the hype for Legendary for that reason!
- I love anything set in a circus, sideshow, carnival etc. (Don’t believe me – check out some of my reviews for books like The Circus or Flower Moon).
- There were quite a few mysteries left unsolved from the first book so I am looking forward to seeing some of them explored more fully.
- I know some people didn’t like it, but I really shipped Scarlett and Julian so am looking forward to more of their relationship.
- I want to find out more about Donatella and Legendary, of course! Tella clearly knows more than she is letting on in the first book so colour me intrigued…
Has your interest been piqued by this book and the description?
Does it sound like the kind of book you might enjoy?
Are you planning to read this book? Why/ Why not?
See some other Waiting on Wednesday posts here: When the Mountains Roared, The Exact Opposite of Okay, To Kill a Kingdom, Starfish, The Gloaming, The Smoke Thieves, The Way You Make Me Feel, The Queens of Innis Lear.
Check out the amazing Game of Thrones Tapestry in the Ulster Museum, Belfast.
Find out more about the Harry Potter merchandise in Primark, London.
Thanks for reading!