Waiting on Wednesday: Asha & the Spirit Bird
Asha and the Spirit Bird
Written by Jasbinder Bilan
Published by Chicken House Books
Publication date: 7th February 2019
Summary (from Goodreads):
Asha lives on the family farm with her mother in rural India.
Her father is away working in the city, and when the money he sends stops suddenly, a wicked aunt arrives. She’s determined to seize the property – and the treasure rumoured to be hidden on the land. Guided by a majestic bird which Asha believes to be the spirit of her grandmother, she and her best friend Jeevan embark on a journey to the city, across the Himalayas, to find her father and save her home …
A gorgeously original magical-realist Indian adventure and the winner of the 2017 Times/Chicken House Children’s Fiction Competition.
I crouch close to the bittersweet straw in the cowshed, last night’s strange dream racing through my heart. The cows shuffle to make room as I steady myself and duck low along the floor. I prise my fingers under the heavy stone, pulling out the small wooden box.
My hands tremble as I lift the lid, carefully unfold Papa’s last letter and trace his address across the fragile yellow paper.
Why I can’t wait to read this:
- Magical realism is one of my favourite things in books!
- It features magical creatures, a hidden treasure and a journey across the Himalayas – even reading that description has got me excited!
- It sounds from the description as if this book will have lots about family. I am excited to find out more about Asha, her father and her grandmother (especially if she’s in the form of a legendary bird!)
- The story is set in North India. While I have yet to visit, I have intense memories of the India created in my mind’s eye by books set there that I read when I was younger. I can’t wait to revisit the image of India created by books!
- This book just sounds like everything I love in a middle-grade adventure and it’s out next week so I won’t have to wait too long to read it!
Read an extract here.
What do you think?
Does this sound like the kind of book you would enjoy?
Will you be reading this or do you have any other anticipated releases you would recommend to me?
Let me know in the comments!
See some other Waiting on Wednesday posts here: When the Mountains Roared, The Exact Opposite of Okay, To Kill a Kingdom, Starfish, The Gloaming, The Smoke Thieves, The Way You Make Me Feel, The Queens of Innis Lear, Legendary, Nyxia Unleashed, Bright Ruin, A Thousand Beginnings and Endings, Empress of All Seasons, Tempests and Slaughter, Grim Lovelies, The Glass of Lead and Gold, Storm Witch, The Way Past Winter, The Gilded Wolves, Fierce Fairytales, Descendant of the Crane. Dragon Pearl, Last of Her Name. The Familars. A Pinch of Magic, A Witch Come True, The Winter of the Witch. Once Upon a River, A Curse So Dark and Lonely, Shadowscent, Romanov. Echo North, The Wicked King, The Priory of the Orange Tree, Spin the Dawn, Master of Sorrows.
Thanks for reading!