Waiting on Wednesday: A Treason of Thorns
A Treason of Thorns
Written by Laura E. Weymouth
Published by Harper Teen
Publication date: 10th September 2019
Summary (from Goodreads):
Violet Sterling has spent the last seven years in exile, longing to return to Burleigh House. One of the six great houses of England, Burleigh’s magic always kept the countryside well. And as a child, this magic kept Violet happy, draping her in flowers while she slept, fashioning secret hiding places for her, and lighting fires on the coldest nights to keep her warm.
Everything shattered, though, when her father committed high treason trying to free Burleigh from the king’s oppressive control. He was killed, and Vi was forced into hiding.
When she’s given a chance to go back, she discovers Burleigh has run wild with grief. Vines and briars are crumbling the walls. Magic that once enriched the surrounding countryside has turned dark and deadly, twisting lush blooms into thorns, poisoning livestock and destroying crops. Burleigh’s very soul is crying out in pain.
Vi would do anything to help, and soon she finds herself walking the same deadly path as her father all those years before. Vi must decide how far she’s willing to go to save her house—before her house destroys everything she’s ever known.
Why I can’t wait to read this:
- I absolutely adored The Light Between Worlds, this author’s debut so I will now read everything she writes! Laura E. Weymouth has become an auto-buy author for me!
- Magic = something I want to read! Even better when it is magic with a dark edge or a cost to pay!
- A sentient house! I have always been fascinated by the idea of what walls would say if they could talk and love the idea of a house that has almost developed its own awareness.
- I read the interview with the author and exclusive sneak peek of the prologue and Chapter 1 here on Vicky’s blog and I am completely hooked. It will be torture waiting until September for this…and possibly even longer for a U.K. release!
- I am very much a character reader and the characters established in this prologue are already forming a distinct picture in my mind – particularly Violet and Wyn. I can’t wait to meet them properly!
- The author says people who liked Howl’s Moving Castle might enjoy this – I LOVE Howl’s Moving Castle so will definitely love this!
What do you think?
Does this sound like the kind of book you would enjoy?
Will you be reading this or do you have any other anticipated releases you would recommend to me?
Let me know in the comments!
See some other Waiting on Wednesday posts here: When the Mountains Roared, The Exact Opposite of Okay, To Kill a Kingdom, Starfish, The Gloaming, The Smoke Thieves, The Way You Make Me Feel, The Queens of Innis Lear, Legendary, Nyxia Unleashed, Bright Ruin, A Thousand Beginnings and Endings, Empress of All Seasons, Tempests and Slaughter, Grim Lovelies, The Glass of Lead and Gold, Storm Witch, The Way Past Winter, The Gilded Wolves, Fierce Fairytales, Descendant of the Crane. Dragon Pearl, Last of Her Name. The Familars. A Pinch of Magic, A Witch Come True, The Winter of the Witch. Once Upon a River, A Curse So Dark and Lonely, Shadowscent, Romanov. Echo North, The Wicked King, The Priory of the Orange Tree, Spin the Dawn, Master of Sorrows, Asha and the Spirit Bird.
Thanks for reading!